Sunday, 23 October 2011

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Axminster and Makita have got together and are offering a special Pink Makita 10.8v Lion rechargable drill driver.

These limited edition drills come with a carry case, selection of drill bits and a charger. The drill can generate 24Nm of torque which can be controlled in 14 steps so is good for driving screws into different materials. The maximum recommended drill size for wood is 21mm and 10mm for steel. There are 2 speed settings 0-350rpm and 0-1,330rpm. The whole drill weighs in at just 1Kg.



£10 is donated to Breast Cancer Care® for each drill sold, Makita and Axminster will donate £5 each to the charity.


Friday, 7 October 2011

Felting a shed roof

As part of my roof upgrade I've been putting felt on the roof. I used two layers of felt, the underfelt does not have the stone chippings on it that protect the felt from the effects of the sun. I've still got to finish off some of the edges, particularly around the window where mastic will be needed as well as clout nails. I've put some planks on there for the time being to stop the wind blowing the felt off.

There seems to be some disagreement with regards the facia boards, are they just cosmetic or do they help signficantly with holding the felt in place?

Here's a handy video from B&Q on how to do it.

Tuesday, 4 October 2011

Shed Roof Project

When I inherited the Workshopshed I was impressed by the clear plastic roof and how much light it gave. However as the first winter hit I spotted that it provided no thermal insulation at all and also had some issues with leaking which I attempted to patch up. In the summer the opposite problem occurred at the workshopshed became unbearably hot.



The corrugated PVC had become discoloured in the sun and when I removed some of it from the side I also discovered that the UV had made it really brittle.

So it obviously had to be replaced so I thought about how it could be done. I looked multiwall polycarbonate sheets and these seemed to have better thermal properties than the old PVC. However when I costed out replacing the whole roof with that material it was quite expensive. So I then looked at replacing the roof with wood and insulation with a traditional roofing felt and a smaller pannel of polycarbonate.

Over the last 4 days I've stripped off the old roof and with some help replaced it with a new one.



There's still work to be done to seal around the window and tidy up some of the edges of the felt but you can see the results below. There will be a more detailed post in the near future with how the build progressed.

Workshop Practice Series