The last couple of steps for making the circle cutting jig was to drill some holes to mount it to the base of the router. I found I needed to counterbore the holes here as the screws were not very long.
I also added a sheet of polycarbonate to the base to lift it up a little to compensate for the thickness of the pivot, to give a smooth surface to slide the router on and to ensure the screws were below the surface. I’ll smooth off the outside once the glue has dried.
I ordered some bolts for the pivot but found out I’d got the wrong size once they arrived, I needed an M6, not an M5, so some replacements are on order. Although I do have a long screw I can use in for testing. My dad commented that I could have made a much simpler setup using a nail for the pivot, which is what April does in the video on my first post. I did think of that but was worried that the nail would come out whilst I was cutting the circle. I also have 2 different sized holes to cut so some kind of adjustment is useful; although a second nail hole might have worked too.
To make the bolt easier to fit, I made a handle from some hardwood that I rounded off then used a gouge to add some grip. I drilled through the handle and fitted a threaded insert.
So the jig is ready for some test cuts. I used the scrap ply from the pallet that was provided with my benches. Perhaps over-thinking the solution here but the doors would be very expensive to replace if I get this wrong.
Next step, using the jig.