I recently purchased an electronic kit to make a tachometer, with the aim to measure the speed of my lathe and drill. Given that I’ve only got a mini sized lathe and it’s fixed speed there’s no real reason to do this other than curiousity and that I fancied making up a kit as I’ve not done that for some time.
What I forgot to read in the small print was that the components were surface mounted. Luckily the board came with the most challenging component the IC already attached to the board.
A search on google and a shout out on twitter gained me all the resources I need to complete the task.
John Honniball‘s tips were “As with all surface-mount, use good lighting, fit a fine soldering iron tip and use magnification”.
Watch this space, hopefully there will shortly be a blog about how I did this successfully…