Stainless Steel Unicorn

Over the weekend I finished off the Stainless Steel Unicorn. My first test was not very successful as the wheels just span rather than moving the robot. So I used some Sugru to form tyres for the wheels and that made a big difference. Also, due to the heavier steel chassis, the marble front wheels dug in on the carpet so the bot is limited to hard surfaces.

Ross provided me with a simple Beta version of the software which easily found the robot over bluetooth and I could control the motion using a games controller like on screen pad.

If you want your own kit (cardboard not steel) then there’s still a few hours to get in on the Kickstarter.

3 thoughts on “Stainless Steel Unicorn

  1. […] to some great makers and his latest project, the Smartibot. To help promote the Smartibot I made a stainless steel unicorn and plugged it into his hardware and software. One important lesson learnt from that is that […]

  2. […] or lumps. At school we used steel rules for this but I had some stainless steel sheet (from the stainless steel unicorn) which I thought would work well. So I cut a rectangle and added a couple of wooden battens to make […]

  3. […] motors and driver board were very similar to those that I’d used for the Stainless Steel Unicorn last year. There have been a few changes to the board and the silk screen looks better. The team […]

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 characters available

Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. You can also subscribe without commenting.